Would you rather clean your gutters now or pay the price later? Though gutter cleaning isn’t the most exciting task, it’s still essential. You can successfully clean your gutters or deal with consequences like unwanted pests or a basement flood. Although the choice is yours, you can save time and money by completing this routine maintenance.
Why You Should Clean Your Gutters
Gutters collect rainwater from your roof and carry it away from the foundation of your home. However, leave, twigs, and other debris can clog the gutters and interrupt the flow of rainwater. By cleaning the gutters, you can remove debris and prevent an overflow of water that will damage your home and invite unwanted pests.
How Often You Should Clean Your Gutters
Many professionals recommend cleaning your gutters twice a year: once in the spring and once in the fall. But your environment plays a vital role in the frequency. If you live near many trees or foliage, you should clean the gutters every three months. Excess leaves and debris can damage the gutters, leading to potential damage and costly home repairs.
Consequences of Not Cleaning Gutters
Though cleaning gutters may seem like a dreaded chore, it’s still an important task. Did you know that neglecting to clean your gutters can lead to negative consequences? Here are some things that can happen:
- Clogged gutters can make rainwater overflow and seep into your basement, creating a flood.
- Heavy rain and snow can increase the risk of ice dams on your roof (melted snow that refreezes), which can lead to an expensive roof replacement.
- The stagnant water on clogged gutters can host pests like mosquitos, mice, and squirrels. If you don’t take care of this, these pests can burrow their way inside your home.
- Water damage and overflow can lead to mold and a high pollen count around your home. Family members with allergies or prone to sickness can experience severe health consequences.
- The weight of standing water and trapped debris can damage your home’s soffits and fascia. The cracks will allow water into your home, and you will sustain water damage.
As a homeowner, you must follow routine maintenance on all aspects of your home, including your gutters. After all, would you rather clean your gutters now or pay the price later? Instead of dealing with costly repairs, you can help your home thrive with this simple maintenance task! If you’re interested in residential gutter cleaning services, you should contact GutterMaid. With affordable pricing and a 100-percent satisfaction guarantee, our team of specialists will successfully clean your gutters! If you have any questions, call us today.