Gutters are an important element of your home. They keep water away and prevent different types of water damage. However, you may wonder, how long should gutters last on a house? If you want to know the lifespan of your gutters, the importance of maintenance, or potential signs of damage, check out our guide today!
It Depends on the Material
Gutters are essential to have on a house since they steer water away from the exterior. Gutters typically last from 20 to 50 years, but their longevity also depends on the material they’re made of. Here is the lifespan of different material gutters can be made from:
- Copper—50+ years
- Vinyl—25 years
- Aluminum—20 years
- Steel—20 years
The Importance of Maintenance
The material plays a significant role in the lifespan of your gutters, so it’s important to maintain them for optimal performance. Clean your gutters at least twice a year. If you live near a lot of trees, clean them once every three months.
Warning Signs of Damage
Another significant factor of your gutter’s remaining lifespan is potential damage. If your gutters undergo damage, you may need to replace them or prepare for them to have a shorter lifespan. If you want to know some common signs of damage, check out the list below.
- Overflowing Rainwater. Leaves, twigs, and other debris can contribute to an overflow of rainwater. If your gutters can’t handle the amount of rainfall in your area, you may need a bigger gutter system.
- Sagging Futters. Sections of your gutters may sag if they can’t handle water flow. This can create mold or pest infestations.
- Gutter Leaks. Your gutters can pull apart at the seams and create leaks in certain circumstances. This may lead to water damage inside your home or puddles near your downspouts.
- Broken Fasteners on the Ground. If your gutters can’t handle rainwater and accumulated debris, they’ll start to fall apart. Keep an eye out for broken gutter nails and fasteners on the ground.
- Rust. Rust will appear at the bottom of aging gutters, resulting in environmental element exposure of its different sections.
Gutters are important to prevent your home from experiencing water damage, and as such, it’s very important that you properly take care of them. If you’ve ever wondered how long should gutters last on a house, we hope our guide was helpful. If you live in the Maryland area and are interested in gutter installation, reach out to our team at Gutter Maid today!